Saturday, December 6, 2008

Preston the Pride Award Winner

A few weeks ago Preston got a PRIDE award at school. This was a very big deal because there is only one Pride award winner per class per month so Preston was very excited. A Pride award winner is someone who is Positive Respectful Inclusive Dedicated and Excellent.

Preston is kind of a superstar student, I know my opinion is biased but this kid really does shine. At his teacher conference his teacher was literally gushing about what a good student and friend this little boy is.

He has always been very intelligent, when he was about 9 months old he was crawling around the house with one sock on and I casually said to him "Baby, where is your sock?" he looked at me and crawled away, a few minutes later he showed up by my side with his sock in his little baby hand. I know it is crazy but his genius was already showing:) Once again biased mother speaking here.

But what really makes me and his teacher proud is how sweet and compassionate Preston is. There are a few special needs kids in Preston's class and one little girl named Lily is Preston's special friend. He talks about Lily every day and makes pictures for her. He goes out of his way to play with her at recess every day and sometimes when Lily has to go to Special Ed during recess Preston gladly gives up his recess to go play games in Special Ed with Lily. He brings little toys to school for Lily to play with and he tells me that he does not even mind when Lily gets a little drool on them. I knew he was friends with Lily but when his teacher told me the full extent of his devotion to Lily it brought a little tear to my eye.

It made me remember what a sweet little soul Preston is and how grateful I am to have him in my life. He has always been my Mama's boy, and that is OK with me, but sometimes I think I take my children for granted. I live with this little boy everyday and sometimes forget what an extraordinary spirit he has. Well done Preston, Well done!!!



1 comment:

Rachel said...

that's awesome what a sweet boy he is...It's touching to see such empathy at such a young age. Way to go you guys for being such spectacular parents!