Friday, October 10, 2008

Winds of Change

There have been some winds of change in the Condie home the last couple of weeks. What is this change? It is Brian getting a new job, which we are very grateful for. Brian decided to leave CIGNA (Great West) and pursue a new and promising opportunity. He is very excited and so am I. But the biggest change of all, he gets to work from home! Now this has thrown my world into some turmoil. I know some people would be overjoyed to have their husband be working from home, me on the other hand looked at it with some dread. For our whole married life we have sent Brian off to work every morning and then done our own thing for the rest of the day. I like this arrangement and I am sure most of you know when you throw Dad into the normal routine, the normal routine is thrown out the window. So we had to make some rules:

1. I won't bother Brian during the day and he won't bother me. Meaning I don't want Brian asking me where I am going and what I am doing every time I leave the house and I will do the same for Brian.


2. While Brian is working he is not allowed to come out of his "office" when he hears children screaming and ask "What is going on here?!" He just has to pretend we are not here, just like we have to pretend that he is not home.


3. He has to "go out to lunch" at least once a week, with someone not in our family. This is mostly for my benefit because in my mind if I had to work from home (other than as a mother, of course) it would drive me crazy.


4. Brian has to shave and get "dressed" every day, once again this is mostly for me because I liked him shaved and if it were up to Brian he would never shave and wear sweats every day.


5. Brian is usually gone by the time the rest of the house wakes up and this works well for me, so he must go and work out every morning while I get the boys ready for school, I think this will keep both of us sane.

I really do love Brian, don't get me wrong, I just like my space. And of course there is always the exception to the rule if it works in my favor:)
So this is where we are, Brian working from home, Mom getting used to the idea which does have it perks. I can let the little baby sleep in his crib more instead of living in his car seat. I can also run a quick kid pick up or drop off while the older, self sufficient children entertain themselves. Dad is "home", even if he does not leave his "office" to check on the children we are not breaking any laws here:) He can go on field trips with the boys, or I can take Aidan on his field trips without worrying about being home in time to take Carter to afternoon Kindergarten. OK, I am still trying to convince myself that this is a good thing, ask me in a month, we will see!


Also I am breaking on of the cardinal Condie rules by writing about Brian on the blog. Brian requested when I started the blog that I can mention him in passing but he did not want to be the MAIN subject of any posts. I expect you may be hearing more about him, since he will be part of our daily lives just a little bit more.


4 comments:

Jill said...

I would feel the same way--bitter sweet to have them working from home. But at least you can run a quick errand without waking Logan!

Angie said...

Congrats on the new job Brian! Vanessa, I symapthize with you. Tyler isn't always working at home, but often enough that I know that it can be a challenge!

Wendi said...

Good luck with that! I know EXACTLY how you feel. We don't have many "rules", but I'd like to see how long the getting dressed thing lasts...at least Chris shaves...We have definitely had our moments, but it is good, and we are glad for that!

Kari said...

Space is very, very important, as are our schedules, which equals sanity in our very important job as stay-home mothers. You are awesome, and congrats to Brian on his new job!