Saturday, October 4, 2008

Cheesy Tortilla Soup

OK here is the requested recipe. I got the original recipe from Taste of Home Halloween Food & Fun but I modified it a little so here is the modified version. I usually double the recipe for a crowd, I have made it two times in the past month and both times we have been scrapping the pan it is so good. Hope you enjoy!

CHEESY TORTILLA SOUP
  • 1 envelope chicken fajita seasoning mix
  • 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast diced
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion
  • 1/4 cup butter, cubed
  • 1/3 cup all purpose flour
  • 2 cans (14 1/2 oz each) chicken broth
  • 1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
  • 2 4oz cans diced green chilies
  • 1 cup cubed Velveeta
  • 1 1/2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
  • 1 1/2 cup half and half cream
  • Tortilla chips

Prepare fajita mix according to package directions; add chicken and marinate as directed, in a large skillet, cook chicken in oil until juices run clear; set aside.

In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in the flour until blended. Gradually stir in broth. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Add the tomatoes , chilies, Velveeta and Monterey Jack cheese; cook and stir until cheese is melted. Stir in cream and chicken; heat through (do not boil). Garnish with cheese, and tortilla chips.

3 comments:

This Girl said...

Thanks!! It's rainy and cold here and I think that I have all of the ingredients, it'll make a perfect lunch!

The Paulks said...

Looks delicious... maybe when I get domestic, I'll try it!

Heather said...

Yummy! Thanks for the recipe, I'll try it soon, it sound soooo good!