Sunday, September 12, 2010

September 11th Memory

Today we went to the Air Force v BYU game.  It was so much fun to watch my little boys take in all that was going on.  It was a perfect place to remember this day.

Nine years ago my world was interrupted, it was shaken, it was turned upside down.  The morning of September 11, 2001  I was taking care of a two year old and a 2 month old, and of course we were watching our usual morning Sesame Street.  I think PBS was the only station in the country that did not interrupt their programing, so for most of the morning I was blissfully unaware of the terrible things that were happening in the world.  Brian called around 9am to say he was coming home, and he sounded upset.  I asked him why he was coming home and he said "Vanessa haven't you been watching TV?"  I had no idea, and I had no idea.  I was upset, I was crying, and I was so grateful my children were too young to remember this terrible day, although Austin says he can remember watching the planes hit the building all day long. 

I hated this day, I questioned why this was allowed to happen, what kind of world am I sending my children into.  I was angry that I didn't feel safe anymore.  And that so many innocent people had to suffer.  It truly upset my soul and still to this day it is upsetting to me and I don't like to be reminded of that day.  I can't really talk to my boys about it without getting emotional and I hate getting emotional so I don't really ever talk to them about it.  But they have to know about this day, it is part of who I am, and it is part of the country they live in.  It is part of their history, part of the story they will one day tell their children. 

I never bring up 9/11, I let my children bring it up and they are free to ask any questions they want and I answer them truthfully and freely.  I know as parents we have to put our own fears aside sometimes so we don't transfer them to our children and my children are mostly fearless right now. 

I love this country and my children love this country  that is one thing that I will gladly pass on to them.  I am grateful that we were able to remember this day at one of the most patriotic places in Colorado.  It was a good day, I am glad we remember, I am glad it is done.

No comments: