Thursday, September 18, 2008

No Boundaries

My children have no social boundaries and sometimes this puzzles me. When I was a child I was extremely shy and had to be reminded by my father to look people in the eye when they talked to me because my instinct was to hide behind my parents and look away. My boys on the other hand will engage any stranger they happen to meet, and if they know you watch out because they are not afraid to smack you in the butt and tell all of my deep dark secrets.

Like when the home teachers come over and Austin tell one of his brothers to shut up. I look at him in horror and tell him we don't say that in our house. To which Austin responds "Well, you do" Yes, these words have escaped my lips from time to time but really do we have to bring that up when the home teachers are trying to teach us to be a better family, come on!!!
Even the baby will smile at any stranger who happens to look his way while we are shopping a Wal-mart, very cute but just a preview of things to come, I know!

So today the Royal Crest Dairy man came to our house to try to convince me that I needed him to deliver the 6 gallons of milk we go through every week. He was very sweet and kind and of course had many questions and funny comments (I have heard them all) when I told him I had 5 boys. Yes, yes they are a handful, yes it is crazy here, yes I deserve a treat, no I do not think
$5. 69 a half gallon milk is a treat no matter how convenient it is for me not to have to lug 12 gallons on milk home from Costco every two weeks!
So then the sweet milk man offered to let us try a half gallon of his liquid gold to see how delicious it is. Enter my sweet Carter!

Carter: Who are you!?
Sweet Milk Man: I am your milk man.
Carter: Where did you get that milk, Costco?
Sweet Milk Man: Oh no from a much better place. Would you like to try some?
Then all four boys run in the house and get paper cups to try the wonderful milk that came out of the "awesome" milk truck. All the while the sweet milk man is trying to convince me that I can afford his liquid gold.

The boys return with their cups and each take a drink.

Carter: Taste just like Costco!
Milk Man : (with disgusted look on face) Thank you and have a nice day.

So sometimes not being afraid to speak your mind pays off. But I warn you sweet milk man you may not want to come back tomorrow to see if I have changed my mind, because these boys just might smack you in the butt!! No, I am not kidding:)

7 comments:

ashley & joe martin said...

Thats pretty funny, made me laugh out loud. You gotta love the things that kids say and sometimes they actually help.

Rachel said...

that was really funny Vanessa!

I agree, it does taste just like costcos.

This Girl said...

Wow, their prices have really gone up! I used to get home delivery when I did daycare but it was much more affordable then.

Your boys are so adorable. They make me laugh.

kim said...

your entries are so funny. i think that is great what Carter said to the milk man. i wish i had carter here when the royal crest guy came over here.

Carissa said...

That is a great story. My parents used to say that we would perform for anyone, even the milk man. Perhaps my mother had a similar experience with her 6 kids.

Wendi said...

Condies are definitely a crack up!!!

Danielle said...

Ok, I'm cracking up!!! Poor milk man...he thought his milk was soooo much better than costco!