Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Its Funny You Should Say That



It has been a rough six weeks for my little Carter. When his retina detached in the beginning of May he had surgery to repair it and his Docter kept saying how mature he was for being able to tell us at five years old that he could see floaters in his eye. I thought its funny that his Doctor would say that. When Carter was born and the nurse put him in my arms my very first impression of him was that he was an old soul. It was very distinct and has really proven to be true. Carter is mature past his five years. More like 500 years old and wiser than me in many ways.


When Carter's retina detached for the second time three weeks after his first surgery we were sent to Michigan where some of the best eye doctors in the world worked on Carter's eye. The pre-op nurse who took care of Carter asked me how he does when he gets drops in his eyes. I told her that he is a big boy and has never once cried in all the suguries that he has had. She said that is because he is an old soul. Now she had only know Carter for all of five minutes. I told he it was fuuny she should say that.


Carter has been a trooper through his eye surguries and has just finished two weeks of laying down on his stomach or side so his retina has a chance to heal. For a five year old Carter this is probably the hardest thing he has had to do in his life. His mom and dad are so pround of him. He has just begun his journey with his eyes as he has to have another surgery to put a buckle on his left eye in two weeks but he is so strong and has taught his family a lot about patience and perserverance. We love this little boy so much. He is one patient, little, old soul.

2 comments:

This Girl said...

What a little man! I can't believe that he laid down for that long. Hopefully everything works out for the best! You're in our prayers.

Rachel said...

what a trooper! I'm glad you shared the whole story, I've been meaning to ask you all about it. Good luck with the upcoming surgery.