Sunday, September 13, 2009

One Decade!!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY AUSTIN!

Austin turned 10 on May 14th. I still can't bring myself to believe that I am the parent of a 10 year old. This also marks the end of my first decade as a parent. This is the hardest birthday for me to swallow. I look at this boy and I can't even say little boy anymore because he is a young man. I walk next to this boy and am blown away at how close he is to looking me right in the eye, which makes me want to shrink him now because I know one day not too far away he will pass me in height. But other than height we are starting to see eye to eye in other things to. Austin can discuss things with his parents, and he is teaching us the art of giving your child space and not treating him the same way I treat his 4 year old brother. I will admit it is hard for me to let go of being the over protective, hovering mother. It is hard being the oldest child and having to teach your parents how to do things. I know being the oldest child in my family, so I try to be a little sympathetic to his request of "Mom I need some freedom!"
Austin had a monster truck birthday and the past couple of years the number one requested gift has been the all mighty dollar.

Austin and his brothers counting the loot!!!!!

I have really seen Austin grow a lot this past year. It is a bitter, sweet thing for me. I still remember bringing this tiny little baby home from the hospital and thinking "OK, now what?" Austin has taught me so much about love and compassion. Also about forgiveness, like a child he can forgive and love his parents despite all the mistakes that we make. Austin is turning into a very fun young man and we are so happy that he is part of our family. Austin's brothers look up to him so much and watch everything that he does. I am glad that Austin came to our family!


The lovely monster truck cake, I have made a few of these over the years. Austin has been true to his first love of cars and trucks. The first toys Austin ever played with were ones that rolled.

No comments: